Fire Roasted Chicken Tortellini Soup.
This fire roasted chicken tortellini soup is so easy and delicious. Fire roasted tomatoes and parmesan come together to create a savory rich broth, filled with tender chicken, kale and cheese tortellini. We love it!
I told you that I was soup obsessed this year.
What else can I find to put in soup? We shall see.
This fire roasted chicken tortellini soup is excellent! Hearty, ever so slightly creamy, filled with tender tortellini, some kale and parmesan and crushed red pepper. It’s a delicious comforting dish that gets rave reviews from our entire family. Add some crusty sourdough bread on the side and you’ll have a winner!
I love this soup for so many reasons!
First, it comes together so fast. It is a great weeknight soup. It’s one of the reasons that I often have a rotisserie chicken on hand. Shredded or chopped rotisserie chicken makes this recipe a BREEZE. Same with the tortellini! It only takes a few minutes to cook, and before you know it a steaming pot of soup is ready for dinner. And everyone is happy!
Second, this is a great way to get in those veggies. I mean, all soups are. But for soups like this, especially when they have somewhat of a tomato base and a touch of cream, stirring in spinach or kale or swiss chard is a great idea. Chop it up, throw it in and it’s much more palatable for those who don’t love greens.
And finally, the flavor is just out of this world. The broth tastes incredible because of the fire roasted tomatoes and parmesan rind. It’s rich and flavorful and savory and makes a huge difference in this pot of soup. Don’t skip either!
Oh and as a bonus, it’s pretty simple and easy and a great clean-out-the-fridge meal. I’m always looking for ways to use up everything in the fridge I have, especially after big recipe testing weeks.
As for the tortellini, you can use any variety that you like! We prefer cheese tortellini for this. You could also do a spinach or vegetable tortellini.
See?! Easiest ever. You can have this on your table tonight in under an hour.
Fire Roasted Chicken Tortellini Soup
Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 14 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 parmesan rind
- 4 to 5 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups chopped/shredded kale or spinach
- 8 to 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- crushed red pepper, for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-low heat. Stir in the onions, garlic and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions softened, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste. Cook for a few minutes, allowing the color (and flavor!) to deepen. Pour in the diced tomatoes, chicken, parmesan rind and 4 cups chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and cover, then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, stir in the heavy cream. Stir in the kale. Stir in the tortellini and cook for 5 minutes, until it’s tender and cooked through. This is the time to decide if you want to add the remaining cup of chicken stock. If so, add it in! Remember that the tortellini will soak up the liquid as it sits.
- Taste the soup and season additionally with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately with parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper for topping.
- Note: if you want to make this ahead of time, cook the cheese tortellini separately and store it separately. Heat the soup in single servings and stir in the tortellini when ready to eat!
That parmesan perfection.