Potato Salad with Piccata Vinaigrette.
A summer favorite! This tender potato salad with piccata-inspired vinaigrette is bright and zippy with flavors of lemon, capers, garlic, shallots, fresh herbs and a splash of vinegar. Easy to make and comes together fast!
This is just a summer salad blog now!
Pasta salad, potato salad, grilled vegetable salads, chicken salads – give me all the salads. I can’t help it, because they are all just so… different. One can be dinner. Another is a party potluck dish. Another is a quick and easy lunch salad. Really, there are too many salad options and I’m just contributing to it.
This potato salad is made with baby yukon golds and is drizzled with a delicious piccata-inspired vinaigrette. Think lots of lemon, garlic, capers, shallot and a splash of vinegar. Delish.
Now it goes without saying that this dressing is my DREAM. So tangy, briney, vinagery – oh my gosh. Yes please, this is my favorite combo – a dressing that is ridiculously bite-y with vinegar and then paired with something buttery and rich.
That’s exactly how this salad goes! The potatoes are so tender, creamy and soft. They are tossed in this dressing that is bursting with flavor and punch. I also add in a few handfuls of fresh herbs which brighten things up. Plus, another sprinkling of shaved parmesan.
Because who can pass up a little cheese?
The parm isn’t a deal breaker – you can skip it if you need to. I really like the little bit of sharpness that it adds. But the show stopping ingredients here are the potatoes and dressing.
Creamy potato salads have a time and a place. I am not a huge fan. Vinegar-dressed salads are what I love the most, and if you’ve ever splashed your potatoes with vinegar before making traditional potato salad, I think you’ll like this recipe. Sure, it’s a vinaigrette over a creamier dressing, but the zip is just perfect!
This is how quickly it comes together:
Boil your potatoes! I like to boil them whole, then gently slice them in half. And I only boil then until they are fork tender. I prefer if they have a bit of a bite – make sure they aren’t falling apart.
While the potatoes come together, whisk up your dressing! Lemon zest, juice, capers, garlic, shallots, red wine vinegar… I can taste this. Delicious.
Chop your herbs! I like parsley, chives and maybe a little thyme. Even rosemary or basil will work.
Toss the potatoes with the dressing until everything is combined. Sprinkle on some parm!
And that is IT.
This is such a wonderful side dish. It’s actually one of my new favorite side dishes to make during the week because it’s incredibly simple. The dressing can be prepped ahead of time and stay in the fridge. The potatoes can even be boiled ahead of time too!
The tender buttery potato bite is just perfect here.
Tangy potato salad with a lovely lemon zing. It’s everything I want!
Potato Salad with Piccata Vinaigrette
Potato Salad with Piccata Vinaigrette
- 4 pounds petit yukon gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons diced shallots
- 3 tablespoons capers, plus extra for adding in
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt and pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- While the potatoes boil, make the dressing. Whisk together the vinegar, shallots, capers, lemon juice, zest, garlic and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified.
- Drain the potatoes when tender and let cool. Gently slice them in half. Drizzle with the piccata vinaigrette. Add in more capers if you wish. Add in the fresh herbs and toss again. Toss a few more times to make sure everything is combined. Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese and toss again before serving. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
I choose this!