Grilled Gorgonzola Chicken.
This grilled gorgonzola chicken is one of our go-to summer meals. Blue cheese marinated chicken thighs are grilled and topped with a juicy cherry tomato salad with fresh basil and gorgonzola. Super delicious and goes with almost anything!
Savoring all the last bites of summer over here!
This grilled gorgonzola chicken is smoky and charred, topped with a juicy tomato salad loaded with fresh basil ribbons and crumbled gorgonzola cheese.
Okay, so the way I marinate this chicken is incredibly easy. Are you ready for it?
I marinate it in…
BLUE CHEESE DRESSING!!!
Yes, blue cheese dressing. You can make your own (I like to make some with greek yogurt!) or buy your favorite store-bought version. Which is also easy and delicious.
And yes, this is the summer of chicken + gorgonzola for me. Remember my grilled chicken and gorgonzola pasta salad from earlier this summer?
I marinate the chicken in the dressing for at least 30 minutes, but I’ve also marinated it for an entire day. It just depends on how much time I have!
The blue cheese dressing helps to tenderize the chicken but also adds an incredible layer of flavor. I usually use chicken thighs for this recipe because they are Eddie’s favorite.
Then I throw them on the grill – and they take just a few minutes. You won’t believe how incredible they taste… just from the marinade.
I love the tomato mixture on top of the chicken. This is inspired by my mom’s simple tomato salad from Everyday Dinners – an easy tomato salad with blue cheese that my mom would make all the time when I was a kid.
She actually just told me she had it a few weeks ago too!
There is something about the tangy, crumbly blue cheese against juicy, sweet tomatoes. It’s a huge flavor explosion. The dish really pops, compared to a more simple caprese with mild mozzarella cheese. While I love both, the crumbled gorgonzola is such a delicious way to switch things up. And of course, it’s still delicious with fresh basil and balsamic!
So, I mix up ripe cherry tomatoes with some good olive oil, lots of fresh basil, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a shower of crumbled blue cheese. Any variety of blue cheese – as long as you love it! – works for this.
As soon as the chicken comes off the grill, I pile the tomato salad on top. The chicken warms the tomatoes a bit, melts the gorgonzola a little (look at the melty bits!) and tastes incredible when served in the same forkful.
This has been my go-to chicken to prep every weekend! I make the chicken and store the tomato salad separately. I use the chicken and salad for lunches, with rice or couscous, both on salad or even in wraps. It’s so simple, flavorful and really packs a punch.
Here’s a few of my other favorite things to serve with blue cheese grilled chicken:
And that’s that! Embarrassingly easy but so, so fabulous.
Grilled Gorgonzola Chicken
Grilled Gorgonzola Chicken with Tomatoes & Basil
- Place the chicken in a glass dish or resealable plastic bag. Season all over with salt and pepper. Add the blue cheese dressing and make sure the chicken is completely covered. I usually use a bag and will give it a good massage for a few minutes to work the dressing all over the chicken.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes or even overnight.
- Preheat the grill to the highest setting. Bring the chicken out of the fridge to sit at room temperature for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, gorgonzola, olive oil, balsamic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss until combined. Add in the basil and toss well.
- Once the grill is hot, add the chicken directly to the grates, making sure to let any excess marinade drip off into the bag. Grill for 5 to 6 minutes with the lid closed. Flip the chicken and grill for 5 to 6 minutes more, or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken and immediately cover with the tomato salad. Serve!
And perfectly tender too!