Satisfying Winter Breakfast Quinoa.
This winter breakfast quinoa is super satisfying and delicious! Made with blood oranges, coconut milk, pistachios and pomegranate, it’s cozy, very filling and tastes wonderful.
I’ve got the most satisfying breakfast for you today!
If you’re looking for the perfect meal that’s filling, delicious and easy to throw together, this breakfast quinoa is your best bet. Toasted spiced vanilla quinoa with creamy coconut milk, pistachios, blood oranges and pomegranate make the ultimate filling, flavorful breakfast.
I adore breakfast quinoa and want to scream it from the rooftops! I first started enjoying this over a decade ago. It was my go-to morning breakfast before a long work day or a hot yoga class. I couldn’t believe how filling it was and I was instantly hooked.
It checks all the boxes for me!
It’s super satisfying.
Can be made ahead of time.
Is very customizable and versatile.
That’s really all I need to know when it comes to breakfast. Give me something good that I can prepare ahead of time and I am SOLD. Bonus points if it holds me over until lunch, only because I’d prefer to work and not stop to eat.
P.S. can you tell I’m going through my blood orange hoard right now? This pop of pink makes a cold, gloomy January exciting and bright. Love it!
The only real key to having breakfast quinoa on hand in the morning? Making sure you have cooked quinoa.
It can even be cooked quinoa leftover from dinner the night before, as long as it hasn’t been cooked in broth or tossed with other vegetables or anything.
When I make this for breakfast, I do a few things:
First, I toast the quinoa in butter before boiling it. This adds an excellent depth of flavor and gives it a little warmth.
I like to use coconut milk for this too. Mostly because I love the flavor. Also because I already have a good amount of dairy because I love a yogurt bowl for lunch and also will probably have cheese at dinner. Surprise surprise.
Coconut milk is so creamy and wonderful, it’s easily one of my favorite ingredients. The good stuff in the can!
Next, I stir in lots of spices and vanilla. So off the bat, the base is spiced, warm and filled with vanilla flavor. Deeeeelish.
To make a breakfast quinoa bowl. I simply add the cooked quinoa to a bowl. Top it with more milk, cream or whatever your preference is. Then I add the toppings!
You know me – the more toppings the better. Fruit and nuts always make an appearance. But you can also add in nut butter, honey or maple syrup, dried fruit or seeds. The options are endless depending on what you love.
And that’s IT. It doesn’t seem like much, but because the quinoa is so packed with protein, this is incredible filling. I love the texture of the quinoa in the milk – it’s almost like a version of cereal.
And the toppings just make it perfect.
Winter Breakfast Quinoa
Winter Breakfast Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, plus more for drizzling (milk or cream works too)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, plus extra for topping
- pinch ground nutmeg
- pinch of allspice
- kosher salt
- 2 blood oranges, segmented
- ½ cup roasted pistachios
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa and stir. Cook for a few minutes, stirring often, so the quinoa can toast in the butter.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and a big pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce it to a simmer. Cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove it from the heat and fluff it with a fork.
- To serve, add ½ cup cooked quinoa to the bowl. Drizzle with more coconut milk or you choice of milk or cream. Top with blood oranges, pistachios and pomegranate arils. Add another sprinkle of cinnamon.
- This will make 4 servings, so you can either make it to serve 4 people or store the rest of the cooked quinoa and toppings in the fridge until ready to use!
Pretty enough to eat!